SupercalifragilisticexpiBANDidocious

SupercalifragilisticexpiBANDidocious. (su·per·ca·li·fra·gil·is·tic·ex·pi·BAND·i·do·cious)
Adjective: an extraordinary (wonderful) band or band experience, memory, thought, action, ect.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Last Band Ten Hut.

Today, we had our last official marching band practice. Well, at least until May. It's a very sad thought because our senior marching buddies are moving off. Despite the fact that we're only dropping two seniors -our Drum Major and a sousaphone player- it is very sad to see them go. I'm very grateful to our Drum Major was there for us this summer. He was very good and everyone seemed to like him. We're going to miss them when they graduate and everyone hopes that they can come to our Hawaii Trip as banner carriers, because although they cannot play with us, they deserve to be there. I think I'm going to stop talking before I start crying or something. I'm going to miss my marching band very much over the winter. Yes, I have lots of other things to do and stuff to focus on, but my marching band is my family and that is that.

I am very excited for the next marching band season, for I get to meet all the new eight graders who weren’t eligible for marching band last year. I am very excited to have experience and be one of the kids who people look up to. I’m not the best marcher in the band, but it’s not like I’m completely tripping every time I take a step. I can memorize my music with ease, although I will admit I had some trouble with the Forget You melody.
So anyway, Marco (a fellow clarinet player) was also saying that he was excited for next year so he could correct them all. I laughed and agreed. Here’s what happened in my mind:
*the band is inside, on the Eccles stage, practicing a piece of music*
*the conductor/drum major cuts us off because the trumbones did something wrong*
Me: *turns to clarinet newbies* “Listen up, newbies. It’s an F#!!!! Please play it right. Thank you.”
Clarinet newbies: “Ooohhhhh….”
Marco: “Yeah, and that is a dotted half note.”
Clarinet newbies: “Ooohhhhh…. You guys are so smart!”
Yeah… That was probably a little fantasied and guesswork involved, but I’m sure it’ll be fun. Although I might be in the drum line this year, so I’ll still be a newbie technically. Although I won’t be a newbie to marching, I will be a newbie to the drum line. I don’t know. It just kind of depends on what I’m feeling. It’s just such a hard decision! I want to be a clarinet player because then I’ll be like an expert, and I’ll be able to help the new kids, but I want to be in drum line because that sounds like fun too! Maybe I’ll flip a coin or something. I don’t know.
Oh, funny story, Marco, Whitney and I were the only clarinet players in marching band this season! It’s true! All three of us were 8th graders, going into 9th grade, and we were the only clarinet players! It was kind of a shock, but we worked together to figure it out and we did good in the end. Maybe I’ll tell you more about it next time. Other than that, I’m going to wrap this up!
www.zazzle.com
P.S. Any of my friends who don't like it when I get sentimental, suck it up! Thank you.

How to be a Band Geek:
Rule #5: Try not to cry when your Drum Major calls the last band ten hut.

1 comment: