Today, I spent a lot of my time preparing for my fundraiser tomorrow. Before I get into what I did, I guess I’ll tell you a little bit about the fundraiser. As you should all know, the Park City High School Marching Band (click here for our band page) has been selected to be the ambassadors for the 75th Anniversary Pearl Harbor Memorial Parade. We leave for Honolulu, Hawaii on December 4th, 2016. Yes, you heard me correct, 2016. If you haven’t noticed, it’s 2015 this year, and it’s not even December yet. My friends and I are all really excited to go, and a little anxious, too. We’re really sad it’s not any sooner, but, really, that’s a good thing. Each of the students who wish to go to Hawaii have to raise one thousand nine hundred dollars. Mr. Hughes and Mr. Taylor are nice enough to warn us of this trip fifteen months in advance so that we have the time to get the money together, and pay it in little chunks throughout the year. So, tomorrow, October 4th, 2015, which marks the twelve month countdown to Hawaii, is also marking our first day fundraising for the trip. After putting the third round of trays in the oven, I still have left over batter. One round has two trays, so six trays have already gone in the oven.
Anyway, when we get to Hawaii, the rules are that you have to sleep in a room with three other people. I can’t be sure if there’s a specific girls with girls, boys with boys rule, but there probably is. As soon as we get the packet that explains what’s going on with Hawaii, four of us immediately jump to make a decision on who sleeps together. Easily, we decide that Whitney, Emma, Emily and I will sleep in a room. We kind of felt bad for Syscilia, but she has decided that if she has to spend even one night with me, she’d end up killing me. I’m not offended because in the end it works out because now she probably isn’t going to feel left out. I can’t be sure who she’s going to room with, maybe Amanda and Katie, but I’m sure she’ll get it sorted out. No matter how much it bugs me sometimes, Syscilia is a better organizer than I am.
![]() |
I just came back from my fundraiser! We had a lot of different things to sell including: pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, carrot cake cupcakes, gluten free non-bake chocolate peanut butter thingies, peanut butter blossoms, my fabulous chocolate cookies, fudge, my chocolate chip cookies, hershey kisses (but we didn’t sell any of those) and monster cookies (props to Emily’s friend Candy). The monster cookies sold out the fastest, but that’s because there were only seven packs. I have to admit they did look really good.
There were two customers that I have to talk about. The first one came up while I was half-bickering with Whitney, Syscilia, and Emily about me reading my Geography book. He was saying that I am a good student and they’ll just be jealous when I become the president of the United States. I liked him and he had a very happy aura, I think my friends liked him too, he went nuts over the monster cookies, too.
There was another guy who had driven all the way from Montana “just to buy our food”. He was also very friendly and he bought a bunch of stuff. He wore a cowboy hat and took some pictures of us buying our things (he’s a photographer). He also coaches track and field at a school! He was very kind and friendly, too.
Near the beginning of the day, when it was still a bit chilly, I take out my clarinet. You see, I had been emailing my friends to bring their instruments so we can advertise what we are fundraising for and to attract attention to ourselves. My friends were all yelling at me that if I squeak even once they’d kill me. I made extra careful to just blow some warm air through my instrument before I started playing, as well as play stuff that didn’t go over the break, for that’s the area where most people squeak.
Within five minutes of my playing, they were practically on top of me about not playing. They each called their parents to being their own instruments so we started playing from our concert band books, pep band music, and marching band music. We had fun playing for people and getting random donations from all over the place!
At the end of the day, we earned just about $300 dollars in a grand total. We all divided the money, and I think it was worth sitting there for five hours in the cold, hot, stormy, windy, day selling homemade goods and playing music. I think we ended up having a lot more fun and making a lot more money than we originally led on.
I don’t have much else to say, I’m really excited for our next fundraising sale!
Make sure to click **here** to donate to our marching band to help us get to Hawaii for our parade!
How To Be A Band Geek:
Rule #8: Fundraise your pants off so you can go on your awesome band trip.
How To Be A Band Geek:
Rule #8: Fundraise your pants off so you can go on your awesome band trip.

No comments:
Post a Comment