SupercalifragilisticexpiBANDidocious

SupercalifragilisticexpiBANDidocious. (su·per·ca·li·fra·gil·is·tic·ex·pi·BAND·i·do·cious)
Adjective: an extraordinary (wonderful) band or band experience, memory, thought, action, ect.

Friday, April 22, 2016

Regionals & Bobby Bird - Part 1

On Wednesday, in band, Mr. Taylor got the class excited by saying a few simple words.

"I think you can leave the Wind Ensemble in the dust."

At first, the room was filled with confusion. How could we, the simple Symphonic Band, beat the Wind Ensemble, who are composed of students who were specially selected through auditions.

But that thought was quickly blown away by the encouragement of our conductor. If he believed we could do it, then it was definitely something that could be accomplished. It got the whole of the Symphonic Band very excited and motivated to do our best.

We probably could've won.

If it weren't for Bobby Bird.

The drive to Tooele was roughly an hour and fifteen minutes on the school bus. But the bus ride isn't important, really. We just sat there and waited to get there, really. Nothing special.

When we got there, I was the second person off of the bus. I was sick of sitting down and was probably too excited to perform.

I remember Mr. Taylor calling everyone together once the busses were unloaded and telling us to pack all of our instruments tight against the wall once we get inside the school and then waiting until the end of a song, when there's applause, to go into the auditorium to listen to the other performers. He also made sure we all knew where we had to be for warmup and when. The Symphonic Band went on stage first. We only got to listen to one group preform before we had to go to the warmup room. The warmup room was spent relaxing and tuning. It was nice. It was a light room and it made me feel ready.

When it was our time to go on, it took us forever to actually get on the stage because the other group that was on stage at the time decided to come out the door we were going in, so the small hallway was crowded with musicians and we had to wait for them to get out before we could get on. It was annoying and took quite a while.

Once on stage, we easily set up with the usual coordination and flow that our band tends to have. It was great, the concert. We all played the best we could, and I'm very proud of my personal performance. We all got excited and went out into the hallway, where our instrument cases awaited, and put away our instruments and went back into the auditorium to listen to the rest of the concert, which was only two more groups, including our Wind Ensemble.

On the bus ride back, we stopped at a gas station for dinner. It wasn't my ideal place, I was really hoping for In and Out Burger, but I dealt with it. I went in and actually just ended up buying chocolate, really. I still had food in my lunch box because my dad packed extra for the bus ride. I was okay with what I had.

Mr. Taylor gave us fifteen minutes to get off the bus, buy food, and get back.

Some people decided to be... brave... and went all the way over to McDonalds. I wasn't going there on my life. I hate that place. The food is terrible for you and I've sworn never to eat there again. These people who went to McDonalds ended up taking way longer than everyone else, which made Mr. Taylor get a bit annoyed. And by a bit I mean more than just a bit. Maybe kind of a lot.

I don't think the kids who went to McDonalds got in that much trouble, but I didn't go sticking my nose in it because I had nothing to do with it and I really didn't care.

The rest of the bus ride, I just got really tired and so as soon as we got back to the school I left immediately.

How to be a Band Geek Rule #19: Don't go to McDonalds if you only have 15 minutes to buy food, okay?

Awesome trumpet wallpaper from WallpapersWide!

No comments:

Post a Comment