SupercalifragilisticexpiBANDidocious

SupercalifragilisticexpiBANDidocious. (su·per·ca·li·fra·gil·is·tic·ex·pi·BAND·i·do·cious)
Adjective: an extraordinary (wonderful) band or band experience, memory, thought, action, ect.

Friday, November 13, 2015

5 Days Without Band

I went on a trip to North Carolina last weekend. So let's start with the five day no clarinet title. I was in band on Wednesday, November 4th. Being myself, I didn't exactly practice on that day, having other things to do. Then, since our school has colored days, I didn't have band on the next day. Then on Friday, I was absent from school to fly to NC for the weekend.
That trip was NOT a vacation. It was anything but a vacation, in total honesty.
So on the following Tuesday, November 10th, I was back in band.
And I was awful.
Maybe not as bad as I thought I probably was, but I still think I was pretty bad. Worse than previous rehearsals, at least. It took me less time to become slightly light-headed which resulted in making it harder for me to focus and get all the notes. None-the-less, I kept up pretty well.
I would've brought my clarinet to North Carolina if I could, but I only had two small bags (one carry-on and one personal item) and those two were already packed with all my homework I needed to do and other stuff I needed. Not to mention, I was busy practically 24-7 as soon as I landed!
The whole reason I went there in the first place, was to learn how to be exactly like one of my dad's good friends. His name is Gary and he has at least twelve cats. I named all eleven of them myself. We'll get to them later. Gary taught me and my sister, along with about fifty or so other people there, how to be exactly like him. He said that both women and children were better at doing this, because we can follow instructions down to the last detail much more often than men and adults do.
See, this makes me and my sister the perfect candidates for the job.
I want to point out that I'm not sharing the entire truth about my trip, but that is because (as I learned in class) it's not really something we're to talk about. So I'm just gonna share what I deem worthy.
Cats are definitely worthy of my time.
Like I mentioned earlier, there were twelve cats: Pumpkin, Jackie, Willow, Storm, Blossom, Ivy, Hollow, Gray, Flower, Acorn, Leaf, Fern. These cats do not make the final sum of Gary's cats. For Gary said that about eight of them were moved to a different location (I think temporarily) because of the construction that is going on at his house. They weren't dealing too well with the (still in progress) creation of a new building, so they were moved to a nearby farm or something like that.
Being myself (a cat lover) I'm gonna keep talking about cats. I'm telling you this because I know my (not-so-cat-loving) friends can just skip this part.
Pumpkin was the first cat I met. It was dark outside, and I think we had just come back from class on (probably) Friday. The cat was sitting by the entrance to Gary's house. I practically jump out of my skin and (as silently as humanly possible) creep towards it. After petting it, I know I have to name it. This cat is small  and probably about seven moons old (Warriors reference). Fluffy gray fur and orange eyes. It was only a week since Halloween concluded for the year, and so I decide it's not too late to name her Pumpkin. Then there's another cat lingering near the edge of the front porch. She wouldn't let me touch her, instead running every time I came close. Since she looks about the same age as Pumpkin, I decide that they should be sisters. After deciding that, I think of Pumpkin's name and think of Jack-o-Lanterns. That was too long, and not exactly a girls name, so I quickly shorten it to Jack and then turn it into Jackie.
I'm going to skip the rest of the cats, because then that'd be a really long post because of my unwavering love for them. I'll instead say that Sunday morning we found a bunch of them, found and named Flower, Hollow, and Gray, in the presence of Storm, Willow, Ivy, and Blossom. Then we were walking down the really long driveway and I saw a calico in the trees, and I called her Fern. Then we saw one cat running around the back of the house, so my sister and I quickly follow to discover soon-to-be-named Leaf and Acorn with Pumpkin, Jackie, and Fern with them. We follow the five cats around for the rest of the morning, and we discover Pumpkin's uncanny ability to climb trees. My sister and I, before leaving for lunch, quickly gave Pumpkin a warrior ceremony. Naming her Pumpkinleap for her wonderful ability to leap high heights and latch onto the bark of a tree and keep climbing up like a squirrel. But, we still just call her Pumpkin.

I'm sure my friends just loved my super long cat story. We didn't really see any of them again before having to get on a plane and leave that next day. It's a bit sad, and I'm gonna miss them. I can't wait to see them again sometime, and I'm sure the younger ones (Pumpkin, Jackie, Blossom, Ivy, and Flower) will all have grown.

How To Be A Band Geek:
Rule #13: Doubt your decision to not play for five days after going back to band class and noticeably struggling just a little bit. Just a little bit.
Image Credit to this Tumblr Page. Word credit to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment